Please make sure your child has a named warm and waterproof coat in school every day. Please ensure that all hats, scarfs and gloves are named.
Please ensure your costumes are in a named bag by the date in your communication diary.
This month we will be using the children to plan our learning. Over the course of this half term the children have thought about what they would like to learn about sea creatures and we will be researching and answering these questions. Such as why do fish lay so many eggs at once? Why do starfish not swim? How do octopuses squirt ink? We will use this to write different fact files about sea creatures. We will be focusing on sentence structure and what makes a sentence. We will also be continuing exploring materials and think about what we can reduce, reuse and recycle. We will combine our skills of drawing and painting to finish creating sea scenes.
This month we will be exploring the vocabulary around more than, less than and equal to. We will introduce the signs < > and = and practise using them in number sentences. We will be using objects and pictures to create numbers. We will also be practising our problem-solving skills and thinking about how we can measure items and compare lengths and height.
Ideas for home
- Play board games together, such as snakes and ladders.
- Practise counting forwards and backwards. Count your steps as you walk. Can you count in 1s, 2s, 5s and 10s?
- Create maths story problems. Can you explain how to solve the story?
- Make a list of verbs and nouns. Can you write adjectives too?
- Explore the oceans on google maps Can you remember their names?
- Create a poster to encourage people to recycle, reduce and reuse items.
- Silly Soup Can you make a silly soup? Choose three sounds that you have learnt this half term. Write as many words as you can using those sounds and then add them into a silly soup for a delicious and hilarious recipe!
- Practise using a ruler, what can you draw with it?
A typical day in Year 1
Start of the day
At 8:45 a.m. we come into the classroom by ourselves, we find our name and peg in. We then hang up our coats and bags in the cloakroom.
Lots of our learning takes place outside. Each of us will spend some time learning in the outdoor classroom.
We all spend some time learning together on the carpet.
After lunch we do handwriting and find out what we will be learning in the afternoon. Again we will spend part of the afternoon outside.
Ready steady go time
When we come into the classroom we choose one of the activities at the tables. When we are in the classroom we use our ‘Indoor Voices’.
At fruit time we make sure we wash our hands before getting our drink and piece of fruit. We sit down when we are eating and sometimes listen to music.
We have our hot school meals we eat in the canteen. Then we have time to play with our friends from the other classes.
We all go to the cloakroom and get our coats and bags ready to go home after a hard day at school.